I’m still trying to figure out my log4j problem from the other day, but I’ve been derailed by my attempts to debug servlets in an IDE. For whatever reason, I have been unable to get debugging to work properly in the IDEs that I’ve tried, and I have to say that I find it incredibly frustrating. That’s compounded by the fact that every IDE has its own scheme for how you should set up your Web applications as projects within the IDE, and all of them are different than the way I’ve set up every single one of my projects. (Mine are set up basically the same way as the Struts examples in the distribution.)

I won’t disparage the particular IDEs that I’ve tried, but suffice it to say that it ought to be simpler to set up your projects in IDEs and get the stupid debugger to work proeprly. Wasting half a week trying to get your tools to behave is just not fun.