Some readers sent in additional suggestions for my parents’ computer in response to my Hinternet item from Monday. Here’s a list:
- AdSubtract, a commercial ad blocker for Internet Explorer. My idea was to get my parents to use Mozilla, but if they insist on sticking with IE, AdSubtract looks like a good backup plan.
- Also on the browser front, Opera was recommended. My only hesitation with Opera is that I know both IE and Mozilla better than I do Opera.
- On the personal firewall front, ZoneAlarm was recommended, as was Kerio Personal Firewall.
- For handling malware, Ad-aware was recommended.
- As an alternative to VNC, Windows Remote Desktop was recommended. Unfortunately, they didn’t order XP Pro.