I fixed the password problem that I mentioned yesterday. It actually turned out to require some detective work. To test my Movable Type installation on a new server, I backed up my database and loaded it on the new MySQL server, installed Movable Type, and then tried to log in. At that point, Movable Type told me my login was invalid.
After trying a number of things, I had to start hacking on some Perl. I’ll spare you a lengthy narrative of the diagnostics and tell you that it turns out that the
crypt() function on the old host returned something different than the
crypt() function on the new host.
Because Movable Type stores an encrypted password in the database, the comparison wasn’t turning out the same. What I wound up doing was copying the original password encrypting code out of the Movable Type application and running it on my password on the new server. I took the resulting encrypted string and set my password to that in the database, and then I could log in again.